Saturday, October 6, 2018

Module 1: Educational Reforms

Reading about the various attempts to reform education, and the opinions of the reformers was rather interesting. The readings and videos shared many different views and insights, but one common thread I found was the need for building relationships and engaging in communication in order to effectively collaborate.  Not only are these skills essential for teachers to work together as professionals, but also important for student success in the 21st Century.

In the Changing Education Paradigms video, Sir Ken Robinson discusses the 2 main reasons for Education reform as either economic or cultural - and that we basically teach according to the paradigms created years ago.  He continues to explain that divergent thinking supports the modern concepts of learning and stresses the fact that collaboration is the root of all learning.  If students are able to effectively collaborate with others, their learning will be significantly, and positively, impacted.

The Air Force Collaboratory explains how most of humanity's great ideas were derived from collaboration:

Many expressed frustration with the lack of forward movement in education since the industrial revolution. As our world has shifted from an industrial economy to an informational economy, some educators have held on to the 'golden age' practices of  'one size fits all' education, noted by it's rigid structure, organization, and teacher centered classrooms.  Education reformer and founder of Khan Academy, Sal Kahn, states that human capital has become the most important, and it will define the most successful nation.  Additionally, author Sir Ken Robinson explains the graduating students lack the skills needed to fill the current job vacancies.  

Some educators have embraced the information age and have recognized the need to shift learning from 'what to know' to 'what to do with the knowledge', creating more student centered classrooms.  Fairfax County Public Schools, in Virginia, has created a model titled Portrait of a Graduate which defines the skills they believe are imperative for student success in the 21st century, including communicator, collaborator, ethical & global citizen, creative & critical thinker, and goal directed/resilient individual.  Linda Darling Hammond, professor of education, explains that when these skills are used by students in the process of completing projects that are relevant to real world problems, not only does learning occur, but students build grit and resilience. 

In my teaching experience, I found it difficult to shift from a teacher centered to a student centered classroom. I was scared that I would fail, and therefore my students would fail, and also worried that I would lose control of my classroom if it wasn't structured.  I started with planning student centered activities for one of my classes as a test run and saw amazing results. Over time, I developed a comfort level with the student centered classroom and continue incorporate lessons that foster 21st century skills in my students. While I have seen other colleagues also shift to a student centered classroom, I am shocked at how many still hold tight to their teacher centered environment.  

My overall experiences support the information learned in this module about the need for education reform to support the students growing up in the information age.  While the following clip was created in 2012, it illustrates my view, and the need for education reform in order to prepare our students to be successful in their future world. 






No comments:

Post a Comment